Friday, July 3, 2009

Officer Camp!

I haven't blogged since before school let out. To be honest, I haven't even thought about it. When we were allowed to leave, I headed for the door and didn't plan on looking back. I had about a week of break and then I was headed out to HTE officer camp in Dallas. I was very nervous because I had never driven by myself in Dallas, much less with 6 teenage girls under my care. I packed them up and we were on our way. It was very interesting because it was pure silence up until we almost got into Dallas. I don't think any of us were ready to talk to each other yet, we hadn't had enough of a break from each other. It was good ole Gladys the Garmin who broke the silence and made all of us jump from being startled and laugh. We arrived at the hotel, which impressed the girls because I scored us a two bedroom suite at the Hilton, and rested for a bit. I think they were antsy from being in the Expedition for so long, so I took them to Grapevine Mills Mall to go walk around. None of us bought anything, but we ALL took off in separate directions. I was starting to think that it was a HUGE mistake going to camp that early. I finally, desperately needing a nap, found a bench to sit down on and wait until the girls found their way to the front. I then convince them to go to P.F. Changs. The whole trip would be about them, the least I could get is P.F. Changs. We get there and it is the best meal ever. Of course, I have to explain the proper way to eat in a restuarant like that. We have fun with the chopsticks, fortune cookies and the lettuce wraps!!!! I was in Heaven! We are starting to gel a bit better at this point. We go back to the hotel, swim for a little while, then get ready for bed. After phone calls home and me taking up their cell phones it was off to sleep. The next day we arrive to camp and it gets incredibly awkward. We walk into officer camp where it's clear that many of the teams have had YEARS of dance training. I turn and look at their faces which are looking at me wanting to just come home. I give them a long "pep" talk in the bathroom where they all ran afraid of the others. After the pep talk they walk into the ballroom to find a place to set their stuff and stretch. Well, as nerves are calming down , walking over to us in a familar hands behind your back, head up pose, walks the Tex-Anns. My heart starts pounding because if my girls felt inferior before, I didn't know how much worse for them it could get now. They ask if they can all sit and stretch together, where they realized they all had a lot of the same fears. Their director wasn't too friendly, but oh well, I wasn't there to make friends. I was just glad the barrier between the two local teams had been broken. The funniest thing was when all the girls start giggling and looking at me. The Tex-Anns had mentioned that they have a particular set of kicks called "The Brittany" and it was named after me when I was captain. So, they realized both teams had "The Brittany" in common! Throughout most of the camp they struggled. I wanted so badly to do it for them, but they wouldn't learn anything. The camp had workshops that taught them how to be leaders. It was amazing! It didn't hurt that they had spa package for the directors. The culmination of the camp was an original choreography evaluation. They had to make up their own dance using all the skills learned that week. I couldn't have anything to do with their dance. That was the hard part for me! All week, directors kept asking "Who is Lake View? How much experience do you all have?" At the beginning it was somewhat offensive, but I just brushed it off. All week the girls had been walking around sheepishly, feeling inferior to everyone at camp. It was their turn to be evaluated. The room was filled with parents and family of the other teams. None of ours could make the long drive for one day! I was so nervous for them, the room was literally full. I'm talking clearly over 500 people there. Something came over them. They walked in with their heads high. They look for me, because of course no one is cheering since they dont know who Lake View is, and start waving with big smiles on their faces. It makes everyone laugh. They perform their dance, which is so different from all the others. They put attitude and pizazz into it! I was so proud. No, they didn't execute every step perfectly and that's what the evaluation is about, but they made the room smile. Award time comes and they are awarded with a Determination award, Outstanding Leadership, and a spirit stick! For it being their first time, they were extremely successful.. Lake View Chiefettes are clearly on their way!

3 comments:

  1. I am almost crying as I type this. How very very cool. What a great experience and how lucky they are to have such a COOL coach. I can't wait to see them this year. They were already on their way to being awesome.......now.....nothing can stop them. Hope you are having a great summer. And the "lunch bunch" would have driven there for you had we known :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Joyce. That comment truely means the world to me. Next year I hope to have a cheering section there for Lake View!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome for all of you!!! You are an incredible coach and can expect to have a cheering section all year long.

    ps - I am jealous about PF Chang!!!

    ReplyDelete